Sunday, February 03, 2013

THE TEMPLETON TWINS HAVE AN IDEA by Ellis Weiner

I think THE TEMPLETON TWINS HAVE AN IDEA is probably a series that will appeal to the Lemony Snicket crowd. While I've found much middle-grade fiction has appeal for me, I never warmed to Lemony Snicket and the overly intrusive narrator. Likewise, the overly precious, snarky narrator in this book left me cold. And I usually *like* snark. From the publisher:

LET'S SAY John was pragmatic and played the drums, and Abigal was theoretical and solved cryptic crosswords. Now suppose their father was a brilliant, if sometimes confused, inventor. And suppose that another set of twins--adults--named Dean D. Dean and Dan D. Dean, kidnapped the Templeton twins and their ridiculous dog in order to get their father to turn over one of his genius (sort of) inventions. Yes, I said kidnapped. Wouldn't it be fun to read about that? Oh please. It would so.

LUCKILY FOR YOU, this is just the first in a series perfect for boys and girls who are smart, clever and funny (just like the twins) and enjoy reading adventurous stories (who doesn't?!).

If the asides and parentheticals don't irritate you, give this one a try. The whole book is like this description - littered with tangents and chatting by the narrator. To add to the fun (?) there's quite a bit about cryptic crosswords that is fairly interesting, though the tone of the whole book negates the interest for me.

I recommend this book for Lemony Snicket fans, who may be delighted to have a new favorite series.

Source disclosure: I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher.

No comments: