Monday, February 25, 2013

THE MYSTERIOUS TALENT SHOW MYSTERY by Tony Abbott

This is GOOFBALLS #4, and after reading it to my six-year-old daughter, we'll be looking for the first three in the series. The mystery is fun and engaging, the children are cute, and the jokes are terrible (in that way a six-year-old loves!). Jeff, Mara, Kelly, and Brian (Brain) are a tight-knit group of friends with a penchant for solving mysteries. When the talent show begins to fall apart (a missing pink tuba, wrong-sized costumes, a disappearing director), the Goofballs (as they call themselves) investigate, uncovering the culprits.

This was a fun, high-interest readaloud, but I expect it would also be a great series for reluctant readers. The constant banter, puns, and bad jokes told by the Goofballs is nonstop. Although jokes are not my favorite, I was chuckling along with my daughter Available February 26. The first three in the series, now available are: THE CRAZY CASE OF MISSING THUNDER, THE STARTLING STORY OF THE STOLEN STATUE, and SUPERHERO SILLINESS.

Source disclosure: I received an e-galley from the publisher.

No comments: