Wednesday, February 06, 2013

THE POODLE AND THE PEA by Charlotte Guillain, illustrated by Dawn Beacon

The Poodle and the Pea is in a series called Animal Fairy Tales, and it's exactly what you'd expect: a retelling of The Princess and the Pea with dogs instead of humans. The story is somewhat abridged for young readers. The illustrations are cute, and my six-year-old enjoyed the story (the book is billed as for ages 3-7).

I feel more could have been done with the story. It's hardly a retelling at all - it's the same old story, with dogs in the pictures instead of people. It's fine, but it doesn't add much to the original story. I prefer retellings that veer away from the feudal system (this one has a "servant" coming up with the pea idea), which could have been easily done here. I kept waiting for a twist that didn't come.

Still, it's a cute version of THE PRINCESS AND THE PEA.

Source disclosure: I received an e-galley of this title from the publisher.

No comments: