Monday, February 04, 2013

BONES ARE FOREVER by Kathy Reichs

This is the fifteenth entry in Kathy Reichs's Temperance Brennan series, and I'm not getting the least bit tired of the formula as a good beach read. If earlier books in the series are more complex and interesting, I suppose that's to be expected. I do wish Tempe would manage to avoid getting kidnapped just once. Now, that would be a twist! Still, the mystery held my interest and the Ryan-Brennan relationship is entertaining.

A woman checks into a Montreal hospital and is found to have given birth recently. Before an investigation can be launched, she disappears. When Tempe finds three decomposing infants in an apartment, the team follows her movements to Edmonton, then to Yellowknife, a remote diamond-mining town. Yellowknife is a really interesting setting; Tempe's past with the RCMP sergeant is not. A non-love triangle? Seriously? The mystery kept me guessing, though, and the forensic science is excellent as always, and that's what I look for in the series.

Recommended to Reichs fans. Interested in jumping in? Start with early books in the series. The first is Deja Dead. If you watch the television show BONES, please don't expect to recognize Tempe in the books and you won't be disappointed.

Source disclosure: I received an e-galley of this book from the publisher.

No comments: