Friday, February 06, 2009

Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale

This graphic novel by Shannon and Dean Hale was all over the book blogosphere last year. I made note of it but sort of forgot about it until I happened to go to the library and they had it sitting on display as a new acquisition. I couldn't resist checking it out after I thumbed through it. And it proved to be the perfect thing for me to read on the airplane.

In short, Rapunzel is locked away in a tree by her evil "Mother" (we find out later it is not her real mother) for four years. She eventually uses her hair to help escape and begins a rootin' tootin' adventure with Jack (from Jack and the Beanstalk) as her sidekick.

I thought the interpretation of the Rapunzel story was very creative and I loved that Jack was her sidekick. I wasn’t sure I was going to be into this book because of the Western take on it. I worked in a Western history museum for three years and kind of overdosed on all things western. But I should have known better. I really loved it! I certainly hope they stock this book in their gift shop. It would fit in so well! Rapunzel is shown as a very strong female character that can show Jack a thing or two. I highly recommend this one for reluctant readers, or a fun, quick, entertaining read for anyone!

Others who have reviewed this book:
Book Moot
Abby the Librarian
Maw Books Blog

No comments: