Monday, November 17, 2008

In the Woods by Tana French

I have seen this book EVERYWHERE in the last year. So I'll save you the long-winded synopsis. :-) Check out these reviews if you haven't had a chance to hear about this book yet: The Written Word, The Optimistic Bookfool, or here for an infinite list of blog links.

In the Woods was our book club pick for November. Hmm....I have mixed feelings about this. I think I give it a 4 out of 5 overall. But, as usual for me, books that have a lot of hype tend to come with a lot of expectations. And I usually don't like overhyped books just because they tend to be a bit of a let-down for me. Everyone says what a page turner this was. It wasn't super slow, but I found parts of it dragging a bit and it didn't help that I was busy while trying to read this and could only sneak in 5-10 minutes here and there. So the dragging might have been more my fault than French's. She had a lyrical quality to her writing which was nice at times, and other times I was thinking, "just get on with it already". I liked the relationship between Rob/Adam and Cassie. I was a little dismayed to see how it turned out, but I supposed what happened between them was realistic and inevitable. My biggest gripe with the book is that you are left hanging about a major section of the mystery. I wanted to know what happened in the worst way. And French just left us never knowing. I was highly annoyed by that.

Otherwise, a solid book and I look forward to reading The Likeness as everyone claims its even better. Well, okay, there I go with the expectations again.

No comments: