Monday, October 08, 2007

Halloween Nostalgia

Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year. I love the whole month of October with the culmination of Halloween. The (supposedly) crisp Midwestern air, leaves changing colors and falling to the ground, but still nice enough to play outside, apples and pumpkins. LOVE it!

I've started getting Halloween books from the library to read to my daughter at night. And one, Harriet's Halloween Candy by Nancy Carlson, made me think of a book from my childhood that I just loved. I don't think I had a copy of it (I'll have to ask my mom), but I remember the librarian reading it to us at school and I think I probably checked it out a few times too. It was about a bear, a halloween party and popcorn. The whole house fills with popcorn and they have to clean it up. I searhed "halloween popcorn" on the Barnes and Noble website. Turns out it was called Popcorn: A Frank Asch Bear Story by Frank Asch, originally published in 1979, I think, but reprinted several times. Sadly, this wonderful book is out of print, but there are several copies available on ebay. I may need to purchase one for me (and my two girls too, of course). ;-) I even checked with the library and they do not have one copy of it in circulation, at any of the branches. I can't believe that!

If you ever come across this little gem of a book, you should definitely take a look!

1 comment:

allisonmariecat said...

I was just posting on my blog about nostalgia for childhood books and how it can be hard to find them with the few things I remember about them! I remember the Popcorn book, and I'll have to look for a used copy.

Where the heck is fall? The high today is supposed to be 87. Hello? Summer? Fall called and told you to GET OUT OF TOWN!